Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Quality Water Filters 4 You Posting Page
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Drinking private well water does not have to be hazardous to your health. Like the water that comes from public treatment plants, private well water can contain certain water-borne organisms, such as Giardia, that must be removed before you ingest the water in order to avoid illnesses.

So what is Giardia? Giardia is a microscopic parasite. This parasite can easily live within infected humans and animals and the parasite is discharged into the environment through the waste of human and animals. Humans that consume this parasite may come down with Giardiasis which is a diarrhea illness that can become serious for certain individuals—children, elderly people and those with lowered immune systems.

The Giardia parasite is protected by an outer shell (cyst) which makes it very hardy and able to live in the environment for weeks or even months, even in water.

It is important to understand that literally millions of Giardia parasites are released with each bowel movement from infected animals and humans. The means in which these parasites can get into private well water are numerous. For instance, sewage overflows or leaky septic tanks can be a source of contamination into the well water. Heavy rains or snow melts on areas where livestock defecate can cause water run off into the well. Storm drains the overflow with contaminated water are yet another possible source of Giardia.

Those who consume well water can have their water tested for Giardia by licensed local labs. While testing is a good idea for all private wells, it must be noted that well water that is clean and fresh today may not be clean and fresh after a storm, snow melt, or other type of event that can bring the parasite into your well water.

One of the best options you have available today is the use of water filters inside the home. You honestly never know if or when Giardia will get into your water supply. The best way to protect your family is to prevent the parasite from ever exiting the faucet.

Keep in mind as you shop for a water filter that some filters are not designed to remove Giardia. You must be careful to get the right type of filter. Water filters that are rated at absolute zero or 1 micron and are also tested and certified by NSF 53 for cyst removal or reduction are the ones you need.

Larger filters that are reverse osmosis in nature and design will also remove Giardia parasites, along with many other common water contaminants.

Private well owners should also understand that Giardia is somewhat chlorine resistant. This means that adding chlorine to the well water may not kill all of the parasites. Adding an appropriate water filter will deliver the added protection that you need.

by: Chris Tracey


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link